Friday, April 30, 2010

I'm Gonna Like Me!

The other night I was reading the kids a book called "I'm Gonna Like Me : Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem" during our (almost) nightly book reading and/or Bible study time. It's a cute little children's story about liking yourself and being proud of all the things that make you different and special. I was talking to the kids about self esteem because I think it is really important and is something teachable, to an extent. When we were done with the book I decided to go around and ask them what they really like about themselves. I had no clue what they were going to say. Sophie piped right up and said, "I love that I have a family." How sweet is that?

True though. They are all very proud to have a family. Obviously something most kids don't think about. They are always thrilled to point me out to their friends at school and church when I am with them. One of the things that makes our kids unique is their past. They really appreciate things most kids have never been without. And while it is heartbreaking that they haven't always had a family to care for them, it is part of their own powerful testimony.

4 comments:

Amy...who wanted 4. said...

LOVE THIS POST!
LOVE your kids!! :-)

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

Your family is so beautiful. I really loved this post too.

Just Another Day In Paradise said...

LOVE it! Its so sweet that they are so proud of their family! That book is a good one, thanks for reminding me of it. I have it somewhere in one of my teaching bins, going to have to drag it out, soon. (Hopefully)
Your family is so beautiful, inside and out.

DeanaMarie said...

Love it! So so so precious!